Rental car insurance usually provides the following coverage:
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)
- Liability Insurance
- Personal Accident Insurance (PAI)
- Personal Effects Coverage
Some rental car companies combine personal accident and personal effects coverage together as one type of insurance, while others sell it individually.
If you’re planning a trip that involves renting a car, check the fine print on your personal car insurance policy before you leave for your trip.
- If you have comprehensive and collision coverage on your personal automobile insurance, in most instances the coverage and deductibles will extend to your rental car. You’ll also want to make sure the coverage you have on your personal car insurance is sufficient to cover your liability for damages to the rental car.
- If you don’t have personal car insurance, you probably should reach out to your credit card companies to see if they can provide coverage, or purchase insurance from a third party or the car rental company you are using.
If you want to compare and find affordable car insurance right now or switch from your current insurance company, use our free car insurance online quote service.