Homeowners Insurance Vs. Renters/Condo Insurance

Homeowners Insurance offers protection for you and your home against many common perils like fire, theft, vandalism, wind damage, hail damage, water damage (non-flood), riots, and explosions.

Renters Insurance covers your personal property (clothing, jewelry, computer hardware/software, electronics, furniture and other valuables) if you rent a room or an apartment.

Condo Insurance covers loss to your condo or co-op unit resulting from things like burglary, fire, water damage (from leaky pipes), wind, hail, collapse, vandalism, and the like.

To summarize, homeowners insurance protects the home and the home’s contents if you own the home. If you rent a home, the owner of the home would insure the property, while the renter is responsible for insuring the contents of the home. Condo insurance provides coverage for the inside of your condominium. The external areas belongs to your condo association and must be covered under the association’s insurance policy.

If you want to know more regarding home insurance, go to EINSURANCE.com.

About Dale Williams

Dale Q. Williams, MBA, is a well-respected financial executive whose experience spans from insurance to investment banking. Dale has first hand underwriting experience through working for one of the largest U.S. based insurance carriers, and advisory experience from working for several bulge-bracket and middle-market investment banks. Dale also received his MBA from University of Chicago Booth School of Business, with concentrations in finance and accounting.