Everybody loves a bargain especially on car insurance. Besides maintaining a spotless driving record, there are lots of ways to cut your premium. One of the best is to uncover all the available discounts to lower your car insurance. Some will be advertised, but others you’ll have to ask about. Combine all those you qualify for and the savings can really add up.
1. Bundle Discount. Insure all your vehicles that require insurance including cars, boats, motorcycles and RVs with the same carrier, then add in your homeowners or renters policy. Your carrier will give you a price break because there’s less admin paperwork for them.
2. Theft Deterrent Discount. Depending on the carrier, you may be able to secure a nice discount for having an anti-theft system of some kind, ranging from your OEM alarm to a GPS tracker, fuel or ignition cutoff switch and VIN etchings on windows.
3. Secure Parking Discount. Is your car always garaged or parked off the street? Insurance companies like that.
4. Low Mileage Discounts. The fewer miles you drive, the fewer opportunities you have to be involved in an accident.
5. UBI Discounts. An increasing number of carriers are offering Usage-Based Insurance discounts to drivers who volunteer to install a “black box” in their vehicle that tracks mileage and, in some cases, driver behaviors like hard braking, jackrabbit starts and speeding.
6. Marriage/Domestic Partner Discounts. Statistics tell insurers that people involved in stable relationships are better drivers.
7. Armed Services Discounts. Are you or a family member active duty military? Ask about discounts for the armed forces.
8. Paperless Discounts. Agree to have your premium automatically deducted from your bank account and to receive your statements via email for additional savings.
9. Member of the Club Discounts. Your affiliation with trade associations, unions, service club, fraternity, sorority or some other affinity group could knock a few bucks off your premium.
10. Good Credit. While not specifically a discount, in states that allow it, carriers take into account your creditworthiness when assigning premiums. The rationale is that people who pay their bills on time tend to be more responsible drivers, too.
Find the cheapest car insurance and compare auto insurance online here.