Easy Ways to Keep House Cool This Summer
As the song says, “It’s summertime and living is easy.” What isn’t mentioned in that iconic Ella Fitzgerald recording is that summertime is also hot. Keep house cool so you can “live easy” without running up your electricity bills is just a matter of taking a few steps.
1. Keep the air dry with a humidifier
If you live in a particularly humid part of the country, summer heat can be especially oppressive and stuffy. An easy solution is to use a humidifier in your home.
2. Use efficient lighting
Try to use natural light as much as possible and replace regular bulbs with energy efficient lightbulbs like LEDs. Check with your energy provider to see if rebates for LED lights are available in your area.
3. Treat windows the right way
Bring down the heat and save money at the same time by making sure your windows are efficient. You can:
- Seal windows properly to keep hot air out.
- Crack windows open at night to let cooler air in.
- Close windows and shades during the day to keep cool air in.
- Add insulating blinds, awnings or shade trees outside to cool your windows.
- Install tinted window film.
4. Push hot air out
Turn on stove, bathroom and laundry room vents when using them to send hot and humid air outside.
5. Close off rooms you’re not using
Concentrate your cooling efforts on the rooms you’re using.
6. Cook smart
Instead of heating up your home by using your oven, cook using the microwave and crockpot or cook and grill outside.
If you have a budget to work with, also consider replacing windows and doors with energy-efficient models. Have a cool summer! You might also be interested in: Does Climate Change Affect Your Home Insurance?