The early numbers on Cyber Monday 2011 are in. According to Coremetrics, sales for this year’s Cyber Monday beat last 2010’s by 13.7% and topped this year’s Black Friday by 24.1%. The average dollar amount per online order was up, too, from $130.24 in 2008 to $180.03 this year. Now that you’ve “saved” all that money by spending more (hmmmm?), let’s look at some ways to save more on something you actually need: car insurance. Not as exciting as a new mega-flat screen or an iPhone 4S, but one of life’s necessities, none the less. And a 2011 J.D. Powers report says you can save from 10 to 15% by buying car insurance online. Here are some tips to help you be a savvier regarding how to buy car insurance online.
- Use an aggregate site like EINSURNACE.com to get the maximum number of competitive quotes. It doesn’t take much more time and the more offers you compare, the better your chances of getting the best deal for you.
- When requesting quotes, be sure you compare apples to apples. Use the same coverage level across all companies.
- Fill out the forms honestly. Withholding information or lying will come back to bite you. Tell the whole truth to the best of your ability to get the most accurate estimate of what you’ll pay for an insurance product. (If you’re issued a policy based on an outright falsehood, claims may be denied or your policy could be canceled.)
- Take advantage of every available discounts like multi-car policies or placing your homeowner and car insurance with the same company. Many insurers will also give affiliation discounts, like if you belong to a certain group or association. Agreeing to pay your annual premium in full and automatic direct payment can save you a few bucks, too.
- Once you’ve narrowed your choice down to one or two carriers, to a little research. Check the financial rating and customer satisfaction rating online at places like A.M. Best and Better Business Bureau.
- When you’re ready to buy, use the credit card that rewards you with the most loyalty points.
Remember those instructions and help you buy car insurance online and save your time and money.