Moving Insurance Guide

What Is Moving Insurance?

When you prepare to move, your belongings may not be covered while in transit. So you might need moving insurance coverage to cover loss or damage to your possessions.

Typically, your homeowners or renters insurance policies won’t cover your property during a move. You’d better review the policy or talk with your insurance agent before you purchase third party coverage.

What Moving Insurance Should You Get?

1. Released value protection

It is the most basic coverage required by federal law and provided by moving companies. The basic liability coverage is free and based on weight, paying up to 60 cents per pound for an item.

2. Full value protection

It pays for the current market replacement value of an item. But it requires a premium to be paid upfront and it includes a deductible.

When you are reviewing your moving insurance options, make sure you are not paying for more coverage than you need or want. Check your own homeowners or renters insurance policy first and then decide whether to proceed with released value protection or full value protection. is an online insurance comparison website. We provide you with the latest insurance news and free home insurance quotes from top rated insurance carriers.

About Dale Williams

Dale Q. Williams, MBA, is a well-respected financial executive whose experience spans from insurance to investment banking. Dale has first hand underwriting experience through working for one of the largest U.S. based insurance carriers, and advisory experience from working for several bulge-bracket and middle-market investment banks. Dale also received his MBA from University of Chicago Booth School of Business, with concentrations in finance and accounting.